Our highest priority is providing the safest environment possible for all at the YMCA. Anytime our pools are open, they are staffed by trained lifeguards.
What policies or procedures do I need to be aware of when using the pools at the YMCA of Greater Brandywine?
- General Rules & Regulations
- Lifeguard instructions must be followed at all times. Unsafe behavior is determined by the lifeguards AND is not permitted.
- To provide the safest environment possible, those 14 and under must complete a swim evaluation and wear a swim band at all times in the pool area. A lifeguard on duty or the aquatics director can perform swim evaluations.
- Always walk on the pool deck. Running is not permitted.
- Diving is only permitted in marked and designated areas. Diving blocks are only to be used during YMCA programming.
- Only U.S. Coast Guard approved floatation devices may be used.
- Games or exercises that include prolonged breath holding are not permitted.
- Water guns and/or throwing balls in the water are not permitted at any time.
- Glass is not allowed on the pool deck.
- Alcohol, smoking, and/or vaping is not permitted at any time.
- Appropriate language is to be used at all times. Vulgar or offensive language will not be tolerated.
- Swimwear is to reflect the YMCA Core Values. We are a family-friendly environment.
- Members and guests of all ages must change clothes in designated areas.
- Sneakers must be worn on playgrounds and in Gaga ball pits, and parental supervision is required.
- Children and Youth
- Children who are not potty trained are required to wear swim diapers.
- All children and youth 14 and under must be swim band tested and wear their band at all times in pool areas. A lifeguard on duty or the aquatics director at your local branch can perform swim evaluations.
- Non-swimmers MUST wear U.S. Coast Guard approved lifejackets or stay within arms’ reach of their parent/guardian at all times.
- You must be at least 16 years of age to be at the outdoor pool without a parent or guardian.
- Lap Swimming
- Lap swimming is available for those 12 and older--special age exceptions may be made at the discretion of the branch. Those 12-16 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian, unless on a YGBW swim team during a swim team practice. NOTE: All swimmers 14 and under must be swim band tested, wear their designated band at all times and be a green band if lap swimming.
- Lane sharing is expected.
- Circle swimming is required when there are more than two swimmers in a lane.
|Color & Level||Ability||Protect/Support|