Our highest priority is providing the safest environment possible for all at the YMCA. Anytime our pools are open, they are staffed by trained lifeguards.
- What policies or procedures do I need to be aware of when using the pools at the YMCA of Greater Brandywine?
- To create the healthiest environment possible for everyone, please shower before entering the pool.
- No glass of any kind is permitted in the pool area.
- No diving in pool areas shallower than seven feet (Exception: Y Swim Instructor supervision during lessons).
- No inflatable rafts or floatation devices.
- All indoor pools close for a minimum of 30 minutes for lightning and/or thunder. Pools reopen 30 minutes after the final sound of thunder or sign of lightning.
- Children under 12 must have a parent/guardian (18 years or older) in the pool area with them at all times. Any youth ages 12-14 with a red or yellow band also must have a parent/guardian in the pool area. (See Test-Mark-Protect)
- Children under 14 must complete a simple swim evaluation. (See Test-Mark-Protect)
- Can children use the pools? What is the Test-Mark-Protect system?
- Children are welcome to use our pools.
- Children under 12 must have a parent or guardian (18 years or older) in the pool area with them at all times.
- Any youth ages 12-14 with a red or yellow band (see Test-Mark-Protect) must have a parent or guardian in the pool area.
- Those under 14 years of age must complete a swim evaluation with one of our lifeguards before using the pool. A lifeguard on duty can perform swim tests as requested. In the event that a lifeguard is not available, members can ask to see the aquatics director on duty.
- At the completion of the evaluation, the child/youth is issued a green, yellow or red wristband. They must wear this band at all times in the pool area, as it ensures our lifeguards can identify which areas of the pool they are able to be in safely.
- Once a swim evaluation has been completed, the swimmer's age, birthdate and wristband color are logged in our system at the branch for easy issuance of swim bands for future visits. Anytime your child comes to the Y to swim, simply ask for a wristband at the member services desk.
- The following chart explains the band colors and the protection/support required for each band color:
|Color & Level||Ability||Protect/Support|